Friday 3 July 2020

Imperator, a micro Siegebreaker & the Blowfish

This week's progress update is very much a mixed bag which I hope you'll enjoy, including a long overdue update on the Imperator build, & a couple of teeny weeny Knights.  But first, a quick photo of what's on my painting table...

The Blowfish... now in glorious colour (sort of)!

I've now painted the crew of the Blowfish and have given it a lovely coat of my patented rusty coastal weathering recipe.  I always do this layer for all members of the Court of The Fisher King as it helps tie them all together regardless of the specific paint patterns I use.  I also took some time over painting and sealing the underside of the watery resin base to add some depth and colour variation to the waves.  I still need to build up the wave patterns and spray with heavy medium and some surf texture, but for now, I think it's coming along nicely! 

The old rust bucket so far!

Imperator Build Update

It's been a while since I posted an update on the Imperator build.  It's not because I haven't been busy working on it, but more because it's such a large project, I could write a post after every weekend spent measuring, designing, drawing to scale, cutting, fitting then filling the various components, but it would be dull for you my dear reader!

So, I have decided to only post when I feel that I have reached a milestone of interest.  The most recent milestone was the assembly of a foot, some torso detailing and the completion of the neck socket.

Neck socket

Although it's not the most interesting element visually, making a neck socket which could hold the weight of the head with only magnets and still allow me to make something aesthetically pleasing was a tricky prospect.  It has taken me a lot of fiddling and testing to come up with a solution!

I started by gluing some large steel washers into the neck socket to give my magnets something to grip.  I didn't use magnets on the receiver as I didn't want polarity or repositioning issues later on 
Next I filled the socket with Milliput and smoothed it to a nice rounded finish.  This was my plan all along, so I had intentionally left a depth of approximately 5mm of space to make sure I had room to fit an attaching mechanism 
Once the putty had cured, I drilled into the surface to the depth of the washers using a dremmel bit the same width as the magnets I'd be using
Closer up, you can see the surface of the embedded washers peeking through! 
I used an old slow cooker lid handle which I had squirrelled away for the base of my next coupling.  I used a very strong, viscous glue to set the magnets into the right position.  This picture cannot even begin to convey the frustration of mounting five magnets which just want to hold hands...
Once the glue had fully set, I used more Milliput to set them in place.  This will be sanded a little more cleanly once it's cured, but it fits perfectly!
And there we have it - the neck coupling sitting nicely within the neck socket with a pull strength of around 2kg.  This give me a nice solid plastic disc  to work with and a pre-set screw in bolt which I will use to help make a solid mechanical join on the head
It may seem a bit dull, but the socket assembly is vital in terms of set up for the head sculpt.  Below is a draft floor plan of the head interior.  I've decided that the head will house only the Princeps who will be suspended from the ceiling on a large mechanical arm where she can easily see all of the view screens at the front of the cabin.

A small platform extends from the command module door at the back of the head cavity. View screens behind the titan's optics are arrayed before the Princeps
As this is a scale drawing, I've been using the Princeps miniature to ensure that there is sufficient room for her to be suspended from the top plate

Torso Progress

As the torso is one of the main components and certainly have the largest surface area, I'm taking my time in constructing it. Now that I'm happy with the practical structure, I'm moving on to some detailing and reinforcing the structure where necessary.  The sub assemblies will be 1) the carapace, 2) the torso, 3) the head, 4) & 5) left and right arms and finally, 6) the legs and pelvis.  The miniature will need to be broken down into these parts for storage and transport, so the design process needs to incorporate practical mechanisms to allow this.

Since the last update, I have magnetised the carapace plate and made a large waist section which the carapace now plugs into.  I have also added the belly section to the front of the torso
As well as the magnets, I've also added guide rails to the underside of the carapace section to make sure that everything locks into place properly.
This is the underside of the carapace showing the bar magnets and guide rails as well as the underside of the macro cannon tower power plant
The rear of the titan torso now houses a dual reactor, an observation / maintenance platform and an external hatch for access.  I'm really pleased with how this stage is coming along as it's already starting to look more like a real titan!
I've started detailing the underside of the carapace platform now, leaving a gap to incorporate the base of the rear mounted macro cannon tower which extends over the edge of the platform
A close up of the carapace ceiling vent
These exhaust vents were hand crafted to sit the end of the largest rear facing support struts
Here they are in position.  The two smaller outer struts will also have vents while the ends of the forward facing struts will have Legio designs and optics built into them 

Feet

The other main structural elements which I'm keen not to underestimate is the feet and legs.  I've previously shown the underlying structure of the feet, but today I wanted to show the components which have gone into cladding just one of the foot assemblies and the process I used to get there.

First I drew up the patterns - this is just what I needed to cut to clad one of the outward facing toes!
I cut all of the toe components at the same time so that I could make sure they were all matched
This is the side cladding for one of the toe sections
Test fitting the parts
And now all glued in place!
Once both side facing toes were clad, I moved on to the front facing toe and the stairway to the entry hatch
The basic foot assembly - solid as a rock!  Once the legs and pelvis are completed, I will affix these permanently to the gigantic 80cm MDF base
Further detailing added to the forward toe.  A lot of filling is still needed on the feet, but I'm holding off on that until all of the structural elements are complete
And now for something a bit smaller!

AT Scale Porphyrions

I recently completed my 40k scale House Raven Knight Porphyrion Siegebreaker and have been dying to recreate him in Adeptus Titanicus scale the same way I did for my Reaver titan Ferrum Dominus.  Well, I finally got round to doing it and I also made him a friend! Enjoy the pictures and I'll post an update on these little beasts soon!
Mini AT scale Siegebreaker!
40k scale on the left and AT scale on the right
He even has a friend to accompany him in Adeptus Titanicus battles!

1 comment:

  1. Superb work on the Imperator Goddenzilla, thats going to look superb!

    ReplyDelete