The road is long...I've asked several this year whether I've ever won a Golden Demon - the simple answer to this question is no! I don't generally attend events these days - juggling a young family with work commitments hasn't left me with much spare time in my calendar! But I decided that this year would be different...
I have booked a ticket to Warhammer-fest in May and have decided on the 6 categories I'll be entering. To be honest, if I take home a bronze award, I'll be over the moon! Anyway, here are the ones I'm entering:
1). 40k vehicle - Touching up the Fisher King as he's a firm favourite!
2). AoS Large model - Again, I'm looking to touch up the Frost Giant (and am hand-carving plinths for all of my entries!)
3). Duel - I'm afraid this one is a secret for now!
4). Small scale miniature - Again, this one's a secret, but I will say that it's an Adeptus Titanicus focussed piece...
5). Lord of The Rings Miniature - I'm working on Sauron the Necromancer at the moment. In terms of the miniature, he's built straight from the box. His display base is considerably more involved though! So far, I have very quickly put together a rough idea of what it will look like. Essentially, it will be Sauron moving through a fiery arch in Dol Guldur...
|Very much a work in progress, but you get the idea I'm sure!|
6). Finally, I will be entering Mollog's Mob into the AoS Warband category. I love these miniatures so much; ever since I saw them previewed, I have wanted to paint them and create a freestanding display depicting them emerging from a cave.
|Although I still need to finish Mollog himself, the whole piece is almost complete!|
WarhoundIt's been a while since I posted about my Warhound, so I thought I'd give a quick update. I've almost completed the internal details. Once these are done, I can finally assemble the torso and work on the outer sections. With only the engine room and a Moderati left to paint, this should move along quickly now! To be honest, I need to make significant progress on this once alongside my Golden Demon entries as the Titan Owner's Club Walk is only a month behind Warhammer Fest and I'll need both Warhounds for that!
|Although complex, once the Warhound internals are complete, they are beautiful!|
|After building the Reaver Titan with its internal Tech-Priest, this Warhound felt a bit empty, so I added a Servitor!|
|This Servitor guards the bridge, maintains vital systems and probably loads the dishwasher as required.|
|The Servitor was pinned to the crew lift and had to be carefully inserted into the Warhound's torso|
|This is the engine-room door which will be glued in place in due course|
|Flip side of the engine-room door. I was pleased with the rust and scratches on the door from years of use and abuse!|
|I finally got round to sticking in the Warhound's 'eye' viewing ports. I use a flexible, clear, solvent free glue to glue these in place. Any excess is carefully trimmed after drying.|
|The base construction and texturing is now complete|
|The hound is supported entirely by the right-hand leg which is now pinned so thoroughly with aluminium rod that only a targeted nuclear strike will remove it...|
|The destroyed Knight on the base is made entirely from spare parts. 'No actual kits were harmed in the making of this base!'|
|The whole of the base and legs have been given a mucky wash and are ready for proper painting! Eventually, I think the Knight will be in the colours of the hated House Malinax!|
And Finally...As I'm sure any regular reader of my blog will know, I do frequently throw myself bodily down the rabbit hole and create some crazy hobby-related artefacts. Well, my Titan obsession has lead to another new side-project!
I decided whilst creating a Roman Gladiator outfit for my son to wear to school that (in a fit of fevered madness), I could also make a Titan Princeps cuirass relatively easily. I mean, how hard could it be?!
The answer? About this hard... :)
|I used a Sharpie to sketch out a (very) rough design on some EVA foam matting (I use red as it's easier to see pen marks on)|
|I cut out the components...|
|...and test fit them with some of the bits I'd be using on the finished piece|
|This is my jig for shaping foam. Yes, it's effectively a ballcock on a stick!|
|After gluing the cog in place and carving out all of the detail with a rotary tool, I used a heat gun and the jig to shape and seal the foam.|
|I then bolted on some foam shoulder guards made from knee-pads and added other components for detailing.|
|This is how it looks prior to painting.|
|As I'm sure you can see, I felt the need to build lights into it as well! :)|
|A shot of the rear - the tougher black foam joining plate can be unscrewed should someone with a 'fat head' need to put the cuirass on!|
|And here is after a through surface prime and painting!|
|Heavy weathering and a little extra detailing really brings the whole thing to life|
Not content with just having part a costume, I decided to also make myself a Titan themed prop in the form of a 41st millennium engineering and maintenance tome! I purchased an old book from a charity shop and created some stencils using masking tape before painting on the symbols and giving the page edges some nice golden edging.
|I chose this book as its contents seemed rather fitting!|
|I carefully cut the stencil from layers of masking tape (which was stuck to baking parchment for easy release after cutting!)|
|As you can see, I used a sponge and brush. Really hi-tech.|
|The Opus Titanicus on the from was made with two stencils as they would be different colours|
|There was a little bleed on the stencils, but I tidied this up using a knife and fine brush|
|The finished cover. I used some tape to deliberately remove small patches of the embossed pattern before varnishing|
|Gold edging on the pages really gives it a lavish 'Mechanicus' look|
That's all from me for now, but as always, I'd love to hear your feedback in the comments section below!