In my last post I shared some images of my Shroomy Hollow project in progress - I've now completed the Shroomancer's Hovel (which functions as a Balewind Vortex endless spell) and have even added some extra details before painting!
Completing the SculptFirst up, I needed to make something for my Fungoid Cave Shaman (or any other Shroom caster!) to stand on as I wanted this piece to represent a Balewind Vortex Endless Spell.
I didn't want to just resort to a wooden platform, so I decided to create a giant flat headed toadstool to fit in with the overall theme. I approached this in the same way as the main structure, creating a basic shape with tinfoil then coating it with medium grade Super Sculpey.
I wanted the large flat surface to be really interesting, so I created some nice splits along the edges and sculpted pits and boily protrusions on the surface. The overall effect is very pleasing to the eye, having quite a nurgly look to it!
I tried a new technique for detailing the underside of the head and the stem of this mushroom. I cut slightly deeper channels into the surface then used isopropanol to smooth the surface. This also has the benefit of removing unwanted surface details such as finger prints. I use this technique sparingly though as it can easily melt away finer details...
Once the large flat mushroom had been fired, I glued both parts to a large acrylic oval base (which I scored heavily to help adhesion) and used Milliput to create a better gradient - this also helped anchor the parts down. The flat acrylic base was a conscious decision as it's heavier than a hollow plastic one and offsets the high centre of gravity which the sculpt has!
The final build stage was adding some additional smaller mushrooms and texturing the base with rocks and sand.
The skeletal signpost from the Aleguzzler Gargant kit finished off the base nicely!
The Finished Shroom Hovel
Although I'm still working on some lesser (only 5" tall!) mushrooms to properly finish off the Shroomy Hollow board, the main Shroom Hovel is now complete. Behold it's fungal Splendour!
I used white moss, yellow grass and dark green clump foliage to simulate a light starved underground environment.
What else was I going to write on the sign?
Mollog and his little helpers are on the hunt for new digs...
In preparation for a recent game of Age of Sigmar (my first in over a year...), I decided to paint up a particularly nasty looking spell - Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws! Annoyingly I didn't manage to successfully cast it during the game, but I was very happy with the final paint job.
Ever since I first saw this model, I wanted to have a crack at making it look like the creatures from 'Attack the Block' which were jet black with luminescent, glowing teeth.
As cool as jet black looks on film, it's dull on a miniature, so I used pearlescent paints to give it some texture and shimmer on the black surfaces. I plan to add some glow in the dark paint to the teeth when I have time!
On the horizon
So, whilst I have been delving into the underground world of the Gloomspite Gitz, I have also been looking to the future. 38,000 years into the future to be exact!
The next big project which I am working on is an Acastus Knight Asterius 'Quake Hydra' who will be joining the ranks of the Fisher King.
I need to get him finished in time for the 2020 UK Titan Owner's Club Walk in June, so it's full speed ahead!
As the eagle eyed amongst you can see, I have replaced the carapace Plasma cannons with two of the Armiger class Conversion Beam cannons. The reason I did this is simple... it looks bad-ass.
The base for this model is 10" across, so I had lots of room for a strong theme! The front section of the base will be filled with lapping resin waves when it's completed
Getting the pose right on this model was pretty difficult as it is really chunky and like other knights, only stand on its toes, so I had to take that into account when building the base as well. I'm happy with the overall look - posing at the edge of the beach, gazing out across the endless oceans of Corbenic - a bit like this wonderful painting:
|Wanderer above the Sea of Fog by German artist Caspar David Friedrich
When I built the contemptor Dreadnought conversion beam cannon, the grills were annoying. Having to tidy up and straighten 8 conversion beam grills each the size of half a contemptor dreadnought was despair inducing!!
I used octopus musculature for reference to add a bit of realism to the tentacles. I'm very pleased with the overall form; it looks to be writhing and lashing without being made of jelly which can happen if you don't imply a structure under the surface of the arm.
Two film creatures helped me find the right look: Ray Harryhausen's giant Octopus from 'It Came from beneath the Sea' and the monster from 'Deep Rising'. I liked the suckers and heft of the Octopus arms in the former and the gnarly 'teeth' and skin texture from the latter:
It took me several iterations before I settled on this sculpt for the questing tentacle. Tentacles are notoriously difficult to sculpt and I have a new appreciation for anyone that does them justice! I added the toothy protuberances near the tip of the tentacle to make them seem a little more threatening and otherworldly.